Wednesday, July 23, 2014

E.L.F. Brush Review and Comparison (Essential, Mineral, and Studio lines)


Essential/Professional Brushes $1
From Left to Right. 
Foundation brush- absolutely hate it for foundation. I could maybe see using it for concealer but I don’t like it for that either really. And it’s the only one I've gotten that has fallen apart. The handle is cracked in multiple places. Just poorly constructed.
Smudge Brush- great! absoulutely love! I use smudge brushes regularly for lower eyeshadow, for smudging top liner, for connecting bottom and top shadow, and for defining the outer v as well. Cant get enough of them! 
Eye Shadow Brush- One of my favorite brushes of my entire brush collection. It could be used for so many things. Should be called the total eye brush 
Blending Eye Brush- Also another one of my absolute favorites out of the entire elf brush line! I have recommended this brush for beginnings who want to start their collection. It works very well for blending and even defining. 
Concealer brush-love using it for that pop of shimmer or highlight for the inner corner of the eye. It makes the process much easier and more precise. 
Defining Eye Brush- it is soft and is nice to use for the outer v and some in the crease because it is angled. 
Total Face brush-Came with a Jacket. Out of all the brushes that elf sells, I have to say this one is the by far the most useless. I got it from my local Dollar General because the bristles were a pretty red tint but it is just useless. It’s too floppy to really be used for anything. I couldn’t even really see using it for all over setting powder.  To be honest the only thing I use it for is to clean between my keyboard keys.

Mineral Brushes $5
100% cruelty free, bamboo handles, recycled ferrules.  All of their face brushes also come with jackets. They are all extremely soft!
From Left to Right
All-Over Eyeshadow Brush-works well for packing and blending. I’d prefer the $1 eye shadow brush more but for those who want to be 100% cruelty free this isn’t a bad buy
Blending Eye Brush-LOVE it!!! E.L.F. doesn’t have another brush similar to this one on any of the other lines! Its absolutely perfect for blending in the crease and for helping to blend shadows in the crease and outer v out to look a lot neater! Its great I’d recommend this one for anyone
Powder Brush-SO SOFT! I use this for setting powders and for my translucent matifying powder. 
Complexion Brush-It’s so-so. Says its supposed to be used in the crevices of the face and for dusting and setting. I like brushes that I use for the crevices to be a little smaller or flatter and brushes for dusting and setting to be much bigger and fluffier. So I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this.
Smudge Brush-Extremely similar to the $1 concealer brush. If you have to choose between the two and you aren’t looking for 100% cruelty free I’d go with the $1 one. 
Flat Eyeliner Brush-Its nice powdered liner. I wouldn’t’ use it for a cream, it’s a little more difficult to control compared to an angled or pointed liner brush.


 Studio Brushes $3
"Face"
They are anti bacterial, synthetic haired taklon bristled brushes.  Advertised that they can be used for wet and dry products and is a more professional grade line good enough for makeup artists.
From Left to Right
Powder Brush-my second favorite of the studio line! Right now I’ve been using it for the hd powder and for setting powder as well. Its so soft. It would work well for foundation as well.  I will definitely be getting another one of these as well 
Angled Foundation Brush-I don’t like this for foundation either.  It is slightly wider than the one for the $1 essential line but still applies foundation too streaky for my taste.  Takes way too much effort to blend. 
Complexion Brush-not as dense as the complexion brush from the mineral line. I would prefer to use this as a blush brush. It is the perfect size for my cheeks with the perfect weight 
Blush Brush-hate it for blush love it for contouring. Its way too small for blush. I like blush nicely blended with the rest of the face and this makes it look too “perfect”
Mineral Powder Brush-I have been using this for liquid foundation lately and it is my new favorite! I want another to use for precise contouring as well. By far my favorite from the studio line!! 
--in the photo the mineral powder brush and blush brush look very similar but the blush brush has a more pinched style (left) and the mineral powder brush has a circular ferrule (right). 


Fan Brush- I don’t get a lot of use from fan brushes, I prefer to use other brushes for blush, bronzer, blending, etc but you like fan brushes I think this one would work well for you. 

"Eyes"
From Left to Right
Concealer Brush-(Though not an eye brush) It is a nice size for facial concealer and for blending. I also like these flat concealer brushes for packing loose powdered shadows. 
Eyeshadow "C" Brush- I thought I would like this one as much as I like the $1 eye shadow brush but I like that one more. This one isn’t bad though and is very useful
Small Angled Brush-great for brows and cream or gel liner. I use it quite often! It is also extremely to clean. I usually struggle with cleaning liner out of brushes. I don’t know what makes this one different but I definitely appreciate it! 
Small Smudge Brush-Also very similar to the $1 concealer brush. So I’d say go for the $1 one. They are shaped almost exactly the same, both feel like they are made from taklon, it’s just one is black and one is orange and of course there is a $2 price difference. 
Small Precision Brush- it is also shaped similar to the concealer brush from the essential line but has a point.  I don’t’ like the point for inner corner shadow but I do like this for a more precised like for shadows or liner for the lash line.
Contouring Brush-much more dense than the blending eye brush. It is very good for contouring the eye. This would make doing a pinup look very easy!
Angled eyeliner Brush(Not Photographed)-I have been trying to use this brush to get a more precise and controlled application of cream liner but this brush isn’t tapered enough. I really like that cat eye look for liner and can’t get a nice point with this. A little disappointed.  I do like the angle of the ferule though


Photo of the $1 concealer brush, $5 mineral smudge brush,  and $3 small smudge brush together for size comparison.

These are all of the E.L.F. brushes that I own. I purchased all of the brushes personally did not receive any for free from the company for the purpose of review. I hope you found this helpful especially if you are having a hard time deciding which ones to get.  These brushes can sometimes be found at Target, Dollar General, Kmart, Big Lots, Dollar General, and some times Wal-Mart but are always sold on eyeslipsface.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Your Comments!