Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Makeup Starter Kit: Ideas for the Beginner



**Know that this is just my opinion on some good products beginners can start with that are inexpensive and easy to work with. Also I use or have used all but one of the products I recommend, this is why the products look used in the photos. I wouldn't recommend something I didn't believe would work.

FACE: 
FOUNDATION:  Foundation or tinted moisturizer. I wasn’t allowed to wear foundation until my senior year of high school so for those of you with this same issue a tinted moisturizer will be fine. 
Tinted moisturizer:  Hard Candy Tinted moisturizer is a pretty good one, so is the garnier bb cream for oily skin

Foundation: 

Powder:  Milani The Multitasker Face Powder is amazing! I use this the majority of the time as a powder foundation and it works wonders and covers up imperfections very well with very little effort.  If you decide to use a liquid foundation this powder is also very good at setting the liquid for all day wear.

Liquid:  I have a variety of different liquid foundations that I really like and here are a few to choose from for a beginner.  Neutragena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Makeup is great. It blends easily and contains salicylic acid for acne prone skin.  Loreal True Match is also very easy to blend and comes in tons of colors so the chance of you getting one that matches is much higher! No7 Stay Perfect foundations is good to try, they have a nice yellow undertone selection.  For a more full coverage liquid foundation Revlon Colorstay is good but be wary you have to do sections of the face because it dries quickly. This is a good foundation because it comes in different formulas for different skin types. I use combination-oily. 

BLUSH/BRONZER:  If you are comfortable with applying blush and bronzer a fantastic bronzer and nice light blush can be found together in the e.l.f. Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder duo for $3.  Also NYC makes a good matte bronzer and Covergirl Cheekers are good blushes.

EYES:  
 ** I have the E.L.F. elements eyeshadows in an empty 15 palette I got from starsmakeuphaven.com  I also got a free eyeshadow from them in that order. 

SHADOW:  If you have the funds I definitely recommend the 88 palette.  I will leave links to some good ones below.  You get a variety of different colors and finishes to play with that are all very pigmented!  If you aren’t comfortable with the colors, there is also an 88 warm palette that can be more comfortable to use and also has different finishes of shadows ranging from very light highlight colors to a nice matte black. 

As a second choice to these two different palettes, eyes lips face also sells large 100 and 144 palettes that are very nice for no more than $15. I don’t own either of the large palettes by them so I can’t speak personally of how they are I’m just going off of reviews I’ve read and watched.
If you would prefer not to have a palette there are a few different shadows I recommend including the e.l.f. brightening eye colors.  They are only $1 each and come with 4 shadows each.  Also the e.l.f. Elements eyeshadows are a dollar a piece and fit into their one dollar compact as well as various empty pallets found on the internet. They are no longer just sold online you can find then at Target, Kmart, Dollar General, Big Lots, and Wal-Mart depending on your location.  I also recommend Wet n’ Wild singles and palettes and the Black Radiance 8 palettes as well. Every shadow is pigmented you can’t go wrong!

LINER:  If you are a beginner I would recommend a pencil liner because they are the easiest to use.  Ones that have good lasting power are Revlon Colorstay liner and Milini Liquif’Eye Metallic eyeliner (they aren’t really metallic but last a long time).  If  you are more comfortable with a liquid liner I would recommend a pen.  Jordana from Walgreens has a great pen liner for only 1.99. 

MASCARA: varies from person to person. You are going to have to experiment on which mascara works best for your lash type.  I like the Maybeline Illegal Length and XXL. 
            Curler:  The e.l.f. curler is fantastic and only $1. Do not splurge on a lash curler!

LIPS:

Lipsticks:  I definitely recommend the Revlon Lip Butters. They are easy to apply and really do hydrate your lips.  They are like a mix between a lip balm and lipstick giving you the perfect blend.  The e.l.f. liquid lipsticks are also very easy to apply and give a nice frosted look.

Glosses: Definitely for glosses I would recommend the e.l.f. Super Glossy Lipshines are great!  Also, I like the Sinful Colors Extra Shiny Lipglosses from Walgreens.

PRIMERS:
For the face I would recommend Hard Candy Sheer Envy face primer. Its great and out of all the primers I’ve tried this is the only one that I have purchased multiple times.
For the eyes, the Palladio Herbal Eyeshadow primer from Sally’s is very nice. Also e.l.f.’s $1 eye primer, not the studio or mineral ones, but the cheap one is great.

BRUSHES:   I have many brushes but there are definitely certain ones I would recommend for a beginner starting their kit.  
 **The flat top in this photo is from beauty strokes. I would’ve recommended this but I got mine from big lots a few years ago and haven’t seen them that cheap anywhere on the internet haven’t seen them at big lots since.

For face:  if you plan on using liquid foundation I really think a brush is necessary. I just think its more sanitary than using your fingers.  I’d suggest a nice stipple brush or flat top brush as opposed to a foundation brush because they are easier to work with and give a smoother result.  Great stipples from the target brand, e.l.f., and adornedwithgrace.com.  Flat tops from e.l.f. and everydayminerals.com.  For powder foundations or setting powders a large fluffy powder brush would be great, fantastic one is from the Rite Aid brand!  Or a kabuki brush, Ecotools has a great one that can be packaged away for travel to save it from damage and bacteria. 

For blush and bronzer: an angled brush or stipple brush would be great for both. A good angle brush can be found at any drugstore for really cheap.

For eyes:  I’d definitely get the elf $1 eyeshadow and crease brush.  To be honest as a beginner these two brushes can do so much and no more are necessary! You can use both sides of the eyeshadow brush and use the flat top for precise crease, outer v and lower lash line shadow.  The crease brush is obviously good for the crease, the outer v, blending and for highlighting under the brow! Great brushes

And that would be it. I know it seemed like a lot but when in front of you it is a really good sized everyday starter kit.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Places to get eyeshadow palettes:
and of course ebay
really cute set from coastal scents called the smokey eye artist kit. you get 36 colors of matte and shimmer, a brush set, and mascara for $30. That's not bad at all
♥♥I hoped this helped any of you wanting to start with makeup or get a good affordable start at a collection♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Your Comments!